Jeremy over at Eating Words has posted Orwell's well known rules for writing . I think they are helpful. Of course rules is a bit strong. Suggestions. Something to keep in mind. I think they are good, all in all.
1. Never use a metaphor, simile or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.
2. Never use a long word where a short one will do.
3. If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
4. Never use the passive where you can use the active.
5. Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.
6. Break any of these rules sooner than say anything barbarous.
Endlessly Rocking takes large aim at Orwell and the rules and thinks they are ... "BS".
Which is a nice, short, English phrase!